If you’re planning to start a food business in India, then obtaining a FSSAI license or registration is mandatory. FSSAI registration is for small food and beverage organisations (FBO). Medium and large businesses on the other hand need a FSSAI licence. FSSAI is the regulatory authority that ensures food safety and quality across the country. To acquire a FSSAI registration, there are certain documents that need to be submitted as per the FSSAI guidelines. In this article, we will discuss the essential documents required for FSSAI registration.
FSSAI Registration Documents
There are three types of FSSAI licenses you can apply for; A Basic Registration/license, A State License and a Central License. The process to apply for FSSAI License is quite simple, You can do it online via the FSSAI website or the FoSCoS portal.
Documents required for all licenses
Firstly, you have to submit Form A of Application for Registration / Renewal of Registration under Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. This is the application form for FSSAI Basis registration. You must duly fill and sign it. The following information is required under Form A:
- Firstly, you need 3 Passport Size Photographs – (Proprietor / Partner / Director)
- Secondly, you need to provide a Property Tax Bill
- Thirdly, a constitution of Business such as an Incorporation Certificate, Partnership Deed etc.
- Fourthly, you must submit a Plan of the processing unit showing the dimensions and operation-wise area allocation
- Additionally, you must provide a list of Directors/ Partners/Proprietors with address, contact details, and photo ID
- Name and list of equipment and machinery used with the number and installed capacity
- List of food category to be manufactured
- Analysis report of water to be used in the process to confirm the portability
- Finally, provide an index Copy (if the applicant is the owner of the place)
Photo ID Proof
Secondly, you need to submit any government-issued photo ID. (Such as PAN card, Aadhaar card, or Voter ID card
Thirdly, you need to submit an address proof. You can submit a copy of any utility bill, bank statement, or rental agreement as address proof.
Food Safety Management Plan
Additionally, you must submit a Food Safety Management Plan. This document outlines the food safety measures that the business will adopt. Hence, it is a very important document.
After that, you have to submit a declaration form. This document affirms that the food business complies with the FSSAI rules and regulations.
If the applicant is not the proprietor, then an authority letter has to be submitted.
NOC from Municipality
In case the business is operating from a municipality area, then a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the municipality is mandatory.
Additional Documents needed for State License and Central license
This is Form B of Application for Registration / Renewal of Registration under Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. You need to fill it for obtaining a FSSAI State or Central license. Hence, it is important to ensure that all the details provided in this form are accurate and up-to-date. The following information is needed under Form B:
- Firstly, you need 2 Passport Size Photographs – (Proprietor / Partner / Director)
- Secondly, you need Shop & Establishment Certificate with Professional Tax Certificate
- Next, you must provide the PAN of the Business (Partnership / Private Limited Company / LLP)
- Additionally, you must also submit the MOA /AOA of Private Limited Company and LLP Agreement of LLP
- Certificate of Incorporation of LLP / Private Limited Company
- Partnership deed/ affidavit of proprietorship
- B. U. Permission / Impact Fee Receipt
- Medical Certificate Of Workers
- NOC and copy of License from the manufacturer
- Finally, submit a copy of the certificate obtained under Coop Act 1861/Multi state Coop Act 2002
Plant/Manufacturing unit-related information
- Firstly, you must submit a plan of the processing unit showing the dimensions and operation-wise area allocation
- Secondly, name and list of equipment and machinery used for manufacturing along with Quantity, details of Horse Power and Production Capacity
- Photographs of Machinery and Lab Instruments
- List of food categories to be manufactured
- List of products along with ingredient and additives list to be manufactured
- BIS Certificate (Required for Packaged Drinking Water only)
- Source of raw material for milk, meat etc (only required for Milk/ meat unit)
- Ministry of Commerce Certificate for 100% EOU
- IE code document issued by DGFT
- Certificate from Ministry of Tourism
- CGWA NOC for using bore-well water. Otherwise, an undertaking of water supply and valid proof (for units situated within the limits of Gandhinagar, Kalol, Mansa and Mehsana)
- Supporting document for proof of turnover and transportation
- Additionally, you need to also submit an Analysis report of water to be used in the process to confirm the portability.
- Water Report as per IS 10500 (from a NABL Accredited Lab)
- Water Report as per IS 14543 (from a NABL Accredited Lab) (Required For Packaged Drinking Water Only)
- Balance Sheet and P&L Statement of Financial Year (For Wholesaler/Retailer/ Supplier/Distributor KOB)
- Finally, you must submit a Property Tax Bill for Business premises
Other things to keep in mind
The above-mentioned documents are essential for obtaining a FSSAI registration. It is important to note that the FSSAI guidelines keep evolving, and the document list might be revised from time to time. Hence, it is advisable to keep yourself updated with the latest guidelines. You can check the FSSAI website for the same. Moreover, you can also check the FoSCos portal for the latest FSSAI document-related information.
In conclusion, FSSAI registration documents are critical to starting and running a food business in India. Complying with the FSSAI regulations ensures food safety and quality for consumers. Therefore, it is crucial to ensure that all the necessary documents are in order before applying for FSSAI registration or licensing.
Frequently Asked Questions