FSSAI license process for food truck
Food trucks have become increasingly popular over the years, as they offer convenient and tasty meals on-the-go. However, in order to operate a food truck in India, one must obtain an FSSAI license. The FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) is a regulatory body in India. It oversees food safety and hygiene in the country. In this article, we will discuss the Food License registration process for food trucks. We will also state the regulations that they need to follow.
Documents required for food licence for Food Truck
- Photo Identity Proof of the applicant
- Proof of possession of the premises (Rent Agreement/ Electricity bill/ Property papers, etc.)
- Kitchen Layout Plan
- List of food items that you prepare in the kitchen
- NOC from the Municipality or Panchayat
- Declaration form (Form B) signed by the proprietor or the partner or the authorised signatory
- Food safety management plan
- Water test report
- List of equipment and machinery used in the kitchen
- Partnership deed or certificate of incorporation, if applicable
- Authority letter with the name and address of the responsible person nominated by the food business operator
You may have to also submit additional documents based on the type of license you apply for. For a detailed list of all the documents needed for FSSAI license registration, read: List of Documents Required for FSSAI Registration
FSSAI License for Food Truck: The Process
The process for obtaining an FSSAI license for a food truck is similar to that of a restaurant. Here are the steps in summary that you need to follow:
Step 1: Determine the type of license required
Firstly, depending on the annual turnover of the food truck, one needs to apply for either an FSSAI registration or a license. If the annual turnover is less than Rs. 12 lakhs, an FSSAI registration is sufficient. If the turnover is more than Rs. 12 lakhs, then you need to obtain a license.
Step 2: Fill out the application form
Secondly, you have to submit the application form for an FSSAI license. You can obtain the form for a food truck online from the FSSAI FoSCoS website. Make sure to fill out the form with accurate information about the food truck and it’s owner.
Step 3: Submit the application form
Thirdly, after duly filling out the form you need to submit it. You can either do it manually by going to the local FSSAI office along with the required documents or you can submit it online on the FoSCos website itself.
Step 4: Inspection
Finally, after submitting the application, an FSSAI inspector will visit the food truck to check for compliance with food safety regulations. If the food truck meets all the requirements, they will issue an FSSAI license/registration.
For a detailed guide on the registration steps that you need to follow, read: How to apply for FSSAI license?
FSSAI License for Food Truck: Regulations
After obtaining the FSSAI license for the food truck, you must follow these regulations:
- Food safety and hygiene – The food truck must adhere to food safety and hygiene standards set by the FSSAI. This includes ensuring that the food is cooked and stored at the correct temperature etc. It also illustrates that the food truck is clean and hygienic and its food handlers are trained in food safety.
- Display of FSSAI license – The FSSAI license must be displayed prominently on the food truck. This will help customers to know that the food truck is operating legally. Additionally, it also indicated that the food is safe to consume.
- Labelling of food – All food items served by the food truck must be properly labelled. This means it should state:
- The name of the dish
- List of ingredients
- Any allergens present in the food
- Food safety management plan – A food safety management plan needs to be in place to ensure that all food safety and hygiene standards are being met.
- Regular inspections – The food truck will be subject to regular inspections by FSSAI inspectors to ensure that all regulations are being followed.
Obtaining an FSSAI license for a food truck is an essential requirement for operating a food truck in India. The license ensures that the food served by the food truck is safe. It illustrated that it adheres to food safety and hygiene standards set by the FSSAI. It’s important for food truck owners to follow all regulations set by the FSSAI. It ensures the safety of customers and helps avoid any legal complications.
Monjima is a lawyer and a professional content writer at LegalWiz.in. She has a keen interest in Legal technology & Legal design, and believes that content makes the world go round.