As the popularity of online food delivery and takeout services continues to grow, so does the demand for cloud kitchens. These kitchens, also known as virtual kitchens or ghost kitchens, are delivery-only restaurants that operate exclusively through online orders. Cloud kitchens are an innovative way for restaurateurs to cut costs and expand their reach without investing in expensive dining spaces. However, like any food business, cloud kitchens are subject to food safety regulations. In India, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) provides the guidelines for operating a cloud kitchen. To legally run a cloud kitchen in India. you need to ensure that it is registered with FSSAI registration services. In this article, we will explain everything you need to know about the FSSAI license for a cloud kitchen.
Requirement of FSSAI license for cloud kitchen
To operate a cloud kitchen legally in India, you need to obtain a FSSAI license. The FSSAI license for cloud kitchens is a mandatory requirement for all food businesses, including cloud kitchens. The license ensures that the food served to customers meets the safety and quality standards set by the FSSAI.
Types of license
There are three types of FSSAI license:
- Basic FSSAI Registration – This type of registration is for small food businesses with an annual turnover of up to Rs 12 lakh. You can obtain a Basic registration online, and the process is straightforward.
- State FSSAI License – For medium-sized businesses with an annual turnover between Rs 12 lakhs and Rs 20 crores, the state FSSAI license is mandatory. The State government issues; the application process involves submitting the required documents to the concerned authority.
- Central FSSAI License – For large food businesses with an annual turnover of more than Rs 20 crores, a central FSSAI license is mandatory. The application process for a central license is more complex and involves submitting more documents than the other two types of licenses
Note: The FSSAI license for cloud kitchen is required for a range of activities, including food preparation, storage, and distribution. FSSAI conducts regular inspections to ensure that cloud kitchens comply with the food safety guidelines.
Process for obtaining a FSSAI license for Cloud Kitchen
Here is a summarized version of the FSSAI license application process:
- Firstly, determine which license you need based on the size and scale of your business.
- Secondly, gather the necessary documents. This includes proof of identity, proof of address, proof of ownership or tenancy of the business premises, food safety management plan, list of food products to be handled, declaration form, and authority letter.
- After that, submit the FSSAI license application online through the FSSAI website or FoSCoS portal, filling in all the required details and uploading the necessary documents.
- Accordingly, pay the relevant application fee (varies depending on the type of license you are applying for and the duration of the license).
- Once that’s done, wait for a FSSAI inspector to visit your business premises to verify the information you provided in your application and check your food safety management plan.
- Finally, you will receive your license certificate with a unique 14-digit number. You need to display that number on all of your food products and marketing materials. It indicates that your business is in compliance with FSSAI regulations.
For a detailed guide of the process, do check out: How to apply for FSSAI license?
Documents required for FSSAI registration
To obtain a FSSAI license for cloud kitchen, you need to submit the following documents:
- Photo Identity Proof of the applicant
- Proof of possession of the premises (Rent Agreement/ Electricity bill/ Property papers, etc.)
- Kitchen Layout Plan
- List of food items that you prepare in the kitchen
- NOC from the Municipality or Panchayat
- Declaration form (Form B) signed by the proprietor or the partner or the authorised signatory
- Food safety management plan
- Water test report
- List of equipment and machinery used in the kitchen
- Partnership deed or certificate of incorporation, if applicable
- Authority letter with the name and address of the responsible person nominated by the food business operator
Other than this, there might be other additional documents that are required. For an exhaustive list of the documents required for FSSAI license, you should check out our article: List of Documents Required for FSSAI Registration
In conclusion, a FSSAI license for cloud kitchen is essential for operating a legal food business in India. The license ensures that the food served to customers is safe and of good quality. There are three types of FSSAI licenses, and the type you need depends on the size of your business. To obtain a FSSAI license for your cloud kitchen, you need to submit the required documents to the FSSAI. The process of obtaining the license can be time-consuming and complex, but it is necessary to ensure the success of your cloud kitchen.